01275 859933

Tennant Support

Who do I speak to if I have problems with my tenancy?

If your property is managed by Hunter Leahy, please direct all tenancy queries to our lettings team at:
71 High Street,
North Somerset,
BS48 1AW


01275 859933

If your property is managed by the landlord, you will need to contact them directly.

What references do I need to get?


As part of your rental application process, Hunter Leahy will ask Let Alliance to carry out certain references. There are 3 parts to the process:

1. Credit Check

We check for bad credit, IVA’s, Bankruptcy order and CCJ’s. If you have any adverse credit it is important that you declare this and make us aware of it.

2. Current Landlord Reference

We will contact the landlord or agent who you are renting from at the moment and obtain a reference from them.

3. Verification of Earnings

We need to verify that you can meet the rental obligations and to do this we will check what income you have at present.

Employed Applicants

We will take a reference from your current employers. It is important to give the name of your line manager or indicate that we need to contact the HR or Payroll department if this is the case. We can provide a letter of authority for you if necessary.

If you are employed by your own company, please complete the Accountants Reference section of the application as well since we classify this as self employment for referencing purposes.


We will need to obtain a reference from your accountant or have sight of the following:

  • Your last 2 year’s accounts
  • Your last two to three years’ worth of SA302’s / SA100’s / CIS Vouchers.
  • We may also request bank statements to support your application.
Unemployed / Student

Unemployed applicant’s and students always require a guarantor. We do recommend that you provide to your letting agent copies of any student loan paperwork which you have received.

Independent Means

If your income is in the form of independent means, then we will require your last 6 month’s bank statements and may take a reference from your accountant if you have one. Independent means can include savings, pensions and investments. Please submit to your agent or to us copies of documentation which you feel supports your application. This could include:

  • Savings statements
  • Premium bonds certificates
  • Investment statements
  • Bank statements
  • Accountant details

We will require either your annual pension statement or a reference from your pension provider. Please submit a copy of your most recent pension statement with your application.

Additional Income

If you have any additional income please make this clear when you apply. Additional income could include:

  • Tax credits – please provide a copy of this years tax credits statement to your agent
  • Savings – please provide bank statements
  • Additional job – please provide details of who we may contact for a reference or provide copies of 6 months payslips
  • PLUS: To support your application, the letting agent will require sight , and will probably take a copy, of one document for Proof of Residency and one document for Proof of Identity.

Who is responsible for contacting the utility companies after I move in?

Hunter Leahy will take meter readings on the in-going and out-going Inventory, however you as the tenant are responsible for setting up accounts with the utility companies directly when you move into your property and also when you leave, taking care to provide meter readings at the beginning and end of the tenancy.

How do I pay for my rent?

You will be asked to set up a monthly standing order with your bank.

When will the rent leave my account?

Generally rent is paid by a standing order mandate and will leave your account 3 days prior to the rental due date in order to be in the recipients account on the due date (The due date is typically, although not always, the date on which you moved in).

What happens if my rent is paid late?

Any problems with rental payments, that may result in late payment, should be conveyed to Hunter Leahy Property Management. Arrears letters (for which you will be charged) will be issued if rent remains outstanding beyond 3 days after it was due. Interest will be charged until payment is made.

How do I serve notice to vacate my property?

Notice would need to be served in accordance with your particular lease agreement in writing to our office or by emailing enquiries@huntlet.co.uk. The agreement should always be referenced.

What penalties will I incur should I break my lease agreement early?

The primary liability is for rent until the end of the contract or its break clause point. If the landlord agrees to re-market the property and once a new tenant is found, then your liability will be reduced to covering the landlord's commission and any other expenses from when the property is re-let. Payments would be calculated on a pro-rata basis for the unexpired term of the contract.

How will my payments cease at the end of my tenancy?

You should contact your bank directly to cancel your standing order once the last payment has left your account.

What should I do with the keys at the end of the tenancy?

Please return keys to the Inventory Clerk at the Check Out of the property. If you are leaving before the arrange Check Out Inventory, please return them to our office.

What expenditure should I expect at the end of the tenancy?

As an outgoing tenant typically your costs will be associated with professional cleaning of the property. Any discrepancies between the check in and check out may result in deductions from your deposit.

What is the Deposit Protection Service?

Your deposit will be protected by the DPS (Deposit Protection Service). In line with legislation introduced in April 2007 all deposits being paid by a tenant for an Assured Shorthold Tenancy must be registered with a recognised deposit protection scheme within 14 days. Where appropriate, Hunter Leahy will register the deposit on your behalf.

When is my deposit returned to me?

Once the check-out has been conducted, the property has been cleaned to a satisfactory standard and Hunter Leahy has received instructions regarding the deposit from the landlord, the money will be returned to your account, less any agreed deductions.
This typically takes 10 working days and generally no more than 28 days.
If your question is still not answered, please contact your us on 01275 859933.

How do I renew my contract after the initial term of the tenancy?

You should inform us 30 days prior to the end of your tenancy to allow enough time to arrange all the related administration.

Hunter Leahy Estate Agents © All rights reserved. Driven by Dezrez: Estate Agent Software